Three dead in suspected virus outbreak on Atlantic cruise ship
The World Health Organization said one case of hantavirus infection has been confirmed, with five more suspected cases under investigation.
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Key People
No people linked to this story
Locations
All Coverage
The World Health Organization said one case of hantavirus infection has been confirmed, with five more suspected cases under investigation.
A rare hantavirus outbreak onboard a Dutch-operated cruise ship in the Atlantic has resulted in three deaths, including an elderly couple, and at least three more infections, according to the World Health Organization (WHO) and South Africa's Department of Health.
A suspected hantavirus outbreak aboard a cruise ship has resulted in three deaths and several illnesses, prompting ongoing investigations by the World Health Organization. Hantavirus, a rodent-borne illness, can be contracted through contact with rodent urine, droppings, or saliva, often when disturbed particles become airborne in enclosed spaces.
Three people have died and three others are ill following suspected cases of hantavirus infection on a cruise ship in the Atlantic, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Sunday. WHO is supporting the response, noting that one case of the rodent-borne disease has been confirmed so far and there are five additional suspected cases.
At least three people have died, and three others have fallen ill after a suspected outbreak of hantavirus—a rare type of zoonotic virus carried by rodents—onboard a cruise ship operating in the Atlantic Ocean, as the World Health Organization said it is working to evacuate symptomatic individuals from the ship.
Three people have died and three others are sick after a suspected outbreak of hantavirus aboard a cruise ship sailing in the Atlantic Ocean, the World Health Organization (WHO) said in a post to X/Twitter on Sunday night.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
Ebola outbreak on track to be deadliest ever, WHO chief says
The outbreak, declared on 15 May, has caused more than 2,000 deaths, with thousands more reported cases.
August 13, 2026 at 01:31 AMOne dead and hundreds ill in UK salmonella outbreak
Most of the cases were in England in recent weeks, linked to eating imported eggs, experts believe.
August 18, 2026 at 12:28 PMEbola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows - Reuters
Ebola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 04:38 AMZimbabwean boat accident death toll rises to 68 as more bodies recovered - Reuters
Zimbabwean boat accident death toll rises to 68 as more bodies recovered Reuters
August 15, 2026 at 04:14 PMEbola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in its history
The outbreak was already the fastest growing on record, caused by a rare species of Ebola called Bundibugyo.
August 17, 2026 at 04:41 AMUK salmonella outbreak leaves one dead and hundreds ill
A person has died and hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella food poisoning in an outbreak that UK experts believe is linked to eating food made with imported eggs.
August 19, 2026 at 12:15 PM