US withdrawing 5,000 troops from Germany, US officials say - Reuters
US withdrawing 5,000 troops from Germany, US officials say Reuters
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Key People
No people linked to this story
Locations
All Coverage
<a href="https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMimAFBVV95cUxPLUxnTi1fcnFiX0tMTlpIQmdIOGFIQk80clBPWENGTS1FcllKZHRqVlhDZGlud0FGam1WVGctME5QdHgtZHVaUDdaRnhPeUYtTmJrVm5qVldOSDN3N0haYVpzOUU4SVFhSnRXU3FBWkdmckloU1FsQ01DSlA2eS1vaXlvb1E4Mmc2alJ4bVplZXYyNVYtb2FwOA?oc=5" target="_blank">US withdrawing 5,000 troops from Germany, US officials say</a> <font color="#6f6f6f">Reuters</font>
The United States will withdraw approximately 5,000 troops from Germany within the next six to twelve months, fulfilling a long-standing threat by President Donald Trump. The move follows ongoing tensions with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who criticized U.S. leadership and strategy in the war with Iran. The Pentagon confirmed the decision, citing strategic assessments and theater requirements. This withdrawal represents 14% of the 36,000 American troops stationed in Germany, which also hosts significant U.S. military infrastructure including command centers and nuclear weapons.
The United States is withdrawing 5,000 troops from NATO ally Germany, the Pentagon announced on Friday, as a rift over the Iran war widens between President Donald Trump and Europe. Trump had threatened a drawdown in forces earlier this week after sparring with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who said on Monday the Iranians were humiliating the U.S. in talks to end the two-month-old war. A senior Pentagon official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said recent German rhetoric had been 'inappropriate and unhelpful.'
The US is withdrawing 5,000 troops from Germany, the Pentagon announced on Friday, as Donald Trump also threatened Italy and Spain for not helping to reopen the strait of Hormuz. The president’s move to reduce the number of personnel deployed in Germany came after the country’s chancellor, Friedrich Merz, said the US was being 'humiliated' by Iran. A senior Pentagon official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said recent German rhetoric had been 'inappropriate and unhelpful.'
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth is ordering the withdrawal of about 5,000 U.S. troops from Germany, the Pentagon announced Friday. The withdrawal of these troops is expected to be completed over the next six to 12 months. 'This decision follows a thorough review of the Department’s force posture in Europe and is in recognition of theater requirements and conditions on the ground,' Chief Pentagon Spokesman Sean Parnell said in a statement.
The United States will withdraw about ... Trump’s threat as he clashes with the ... Trump had threatened to withdraw some troops ... 'humiliated' by the Iranian leadership and criticized ... ’s lack of strategy in the war. Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said ... 'decision follows a thorough review of ... ’s force posture in Europe and is ... .'
The United States is withdrawing 5,000 troops from NATO ally Germany, the Pentagon announced on Friday, as a rift over the Iran war widens between President Donald Trump and Europe. Trump had threatened a drawdown in forces earlier this week after sparring with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who said on Monday the Iranians were humiliating the U.S. in talks to end the two-month-old war and that he did not see what exit strategy Washington was pursuing. A senior Pentagon official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said recent German rhetoric had been 'inappropriate and unhelpful.'
The United States is withdrawing 5,000 troops from NATO ally Germany, the Pentagon announced on Friday, as a rift over the Iran war widens between President Donald Trump and Europe. Trump had threatened a drawdown in forces earlier this week after sparring with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who said on Monday the Iranians were humiliating the U.S. in talks to end the two-month-old war and that he did not see what exit strategy Washington was pursuing. A senior Pentagon official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said recent German rhetoric had been 'inappropriate and unhelpful.'
The Pentagon announced it will withdraw about 5,000 U.S. troops from Germany within six to 12 months, representing 14% of the roughly 36,000 American service members stationed there. This decision follows a thorough review of the Department’s force posture in Europe and is in recognition of theater requirements and conditions on the ground. The move comes amid tensions between President Donald Trump and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz over the U.S. war with Iran.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
Germany evacuates about 1,800 people as wildfire reaches border village - Reuters
Germany evacuates about 1,800 people as wildfire reaches border village Reuters
August 14, 2026 at 05:38 AMGerman companies cut US investment to three-year low, data show - Reuters
German companies cut US investment to three-year low, data show Reuters
August 16, 2026 at 06:35 AMTrump seeks cuts to US-South Korea drills, reviving earlier objections - Reuters
Trump seeks cuts to US-South Korea drills, reviving earlier objections Reuters
August 17, 2026 at 06:10 AMTrump instructs Pentagon to reduce military exercises with South Korea - Reuters
Trump instructs Pentagon to reduce military exercises with South Korea Reuters
August 16, 2026 at 11:30 PMTrump says USS Abraham Lincoln deployment 'not nearly long enough' - Reuters
Trump says USS Abraham Lincoln deployment 'not nearly long enough' Reuters
August 14, 2026 at 09:23 PMUS yields head lower after Treasury offers liquidity support - Reuters
US yields head lower after Treasury offers liquidity support Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 02:15 PM