More than 1.5m foreign pilgrims begin Hajj despite Iran war fears
Saudi Arabia says that is 11,000 more than the number of Muslims who travelled to the Gulf kingdom last year.
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Key People
No people linked to this story
Locations
All Coverage
Saudi Arabia says that is 11,000 more than the number of Muslims who travelled to the Gulf kingdom last year.
Over 1.5 million Muslims have gathered in Mecca for the annual Hajj pilgrimage, facing extreme heat and regional tensions due to the ongoing conflict involving Iran.
Despite regional tensions and a fragile ceasefire in the Iran war, over 1.5 million Muslim pilgrims have commenced the hajj pilgrimage in Mecca.
The annual Hajj pilgrimage has begun in Saudi Arabia with over 1.5 million pilgrims arriving from abroad, amid a fragile ceasefire in the Iran war and a global energy crisis.
Despite concerns over the Iran war, over 1.5 million foreign pilgrims have arrived in Saudi Arabia to perform the Hajj pilgrimage, marking an increase from the previous year.
The annual Hajj pilgrimage has begun in Saudi Arabia, with over 1.5 million pilgrims arriving from outside the country, amid a tenuous ceasefire in the Iran war and regional tensions.
Over 1.5 million Muslims have gathered in Mecca for the annual Hajj pilgrimage, taking place amid efforts for peace in the Middle East.
Over 1.5 million Muslims began the annual Hajj pilgrimage in Mecca amidst high temperatures and hopes for peace, as regional tensions and US-Iran negotiations loom.
The annual Hajj pilgrimage has begun in Mecca, with over 1.5 million pilgrims arriving from outside the country, amid a tenuous ceasefire in the Iran war ... regional tensions.
The annual Hajj pilgrimage has begun in Mecca, with over 1.5 million pilgrims arriving from outside the country, amid a tenuous ceasefire in ... regional tensions.
Despite the ongoing Iran war, Iranian pilgrims are attending the Hajj pilgrimage, with travel plans adjusted due to the conflict and a ceasefire restoring air access.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
Hormuz crossings rise slightly from weekend, remain in single digits, data shows - Reuters
Hormuz crossings rise slightly from weekend, remain in single digits, data shows Reuters
August 18, 2026 at 03:03 AMMost Gulf bourses gain despite stalled Iran talks, Hormuz disruption - Reuters
Most Gulf bourses gain despite stalled Iran talks, Hormuz disruption Reuters
August 16, 2026 at 01:17 PMSaudi Arabia resumes oil loadings, sales from inside Strait of Hormuz - Reuters
Saudi Arabia resumes oil loadings, sales from inside Strait of Hormuz Reuters
August 18, 2026 at 10:15 AMMost Gulf markets ease as Iran tensions, Hormuz shipping disruptions weigh - Reuters
Most Gulf markets ease as Iran tensions, Hormuz shipping disruptions weigh Reuters
August 17, 2026 at 01:12 PMIran disputes Qatar, Kuwait accounts of captured Iranian personnel - Reuters
Iran disputes Qatar, Kuwait accounts of captured Iranian personnel Reuters
August 16, 2026 at 11:27 AMMorocco detains dozens of migrants trying to cross into Ceuta, reports say
Security had been stepped up amid suggestions on social media of a second mass crossing on Saturday.
August 15, 2026 at 08:58 PM