Hantavirus: WHO chief says public health risk is low
The origin of the outbreak is still unknown, with the World Health Organisation saying investigations are "still under way".
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Key People
No people linked to this story
Locations
All Coverage
The origin of the outbreak is still unknown, with the World Health Organisation saying investigations are "still under way".
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus reassures the people of Tenerife that the public health risk from the hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius cruise ship remains low, emphasizing that this is not another COVID-19 situation.
An overview of hantaviruses, their transmission, symptoms, and preventive measures, highlighting the current situation and the low public health risk associated with the recent outbreak.
The UN World Health Organization emphasizes that the risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is 'absolutely low,' despite an outbreak on the MV Hondius cruise ship.
An in-depth look at the hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius cruise ship, discussing the Andes strain's unique transmission characteristics and the WHO's assessment of the public health risk.
A discussion on the hantavirus outbreak's potential impact, comparing it to COVID-19, and evaluating the U.S. response to the situation.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
WHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months - Reuters
WHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months Reuters
August 18, 2026 at 11:42 AMEbola outbreak on track to be deadliest ever, WHO chief says
The outbreak, declared on 15 May, has caused more than 2,000 deaths, with thousands more reported cases.
August 13, 2026 at 01:31 AMSalmonella outbreak: What we know so far
Hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella infections in an outbreak linked to imported eggs.
August 19, 2026 at 04:43 PMEbola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows - Reuters
Ebola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 04:38 AMEbola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo becomes deadliest in country's history - Reuters
Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo becomes deadliest in country's history Reuters
August 16, 2026 at 10:40 PMEngland set to eliminate hepatitis C
England is on track to become one of the first countries in the world to eliminate hepatitis C, a dangerous virus that attacks the liver, figures show.
August 10, 2026 at 11:40 PM