Canada summons OpenAI senior staff over Tumbler Ridge shooting
Canadian officials say they are seeking "better understanding" after learning the suspected shooter's ChatGPT account was banned months before the attack.
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Notable Quotes
"We will have a sit-down meeting to have an explanation of their safety protocols and their thresholds of escalation to police so we have a better understanding of what's happening and what they do."
— Evan Solomon , Politician
"From the outside, it looks like OpenAI had the opportunity to prevent this tragedy, to prevent this horrific loss of life, to prevent there from being dead children in British Columbia."
— David Eby , Politician
"Canadians expect, first of all, that their children particularly are kept safe and these organizations act in a responsible manner."
— Evan Solomon , Politician
"I am deeply disturbed by reports that the company, which operates the popular ChatGPT chatbot, suspended the account of Jesse Van Rootselaar over the 'furtherance of violent activities' in June 2025 but did not reach out to Canadian law enforcement."
— Evan Solomon , Politician
"The pain the families were enduring was 'unimaginable' and that revelations OpenAI had 'related intelligence' before the shooting is 'profoundly disturbing for the victims’ families and all British Columbians'."
— David Eby , Politician
"media reports on OpenAI’s internal deliberations were 'deeply disturbing,' adding the reports suggested the company 'did not contact law enforcement in a timely manner.'"
— Evan Solomon , Politician
"'Our job and our duty is to make sure Canadians are protected.'"
— Evan Solomon , Politician
"I have summoned the senior safety team from OpenAI in the United States to come here to Ottawa."
— Evan Solomon , Politician
"All options are on the table."
— Evan Solomon , Politician
Key People
David Eby is the Premier of British Columbia.
Evan Solomon is Canada’s Artificial Intelligence Minister.
The brother of the shooting suspect, arrested for breaking bail related to attempted murder charges.
suspected perpetrator of a mass shooting in British Columbia.
Tags
All Coverage
Canadian officials say they are seeking "better understanding" after learning the suspected shooter's ChatGPT account was banned months before the attack.
Canada’s artificial intelligence minister says he has summoned representatives from the technology company OpenAI after the company declined to alert police after suspending the account of a user who became the perpetrator of one of the country’s worst-ever school shootings. Evan Solomon says he is “deeply disturbed” by reports that the company, which operates the popular ChatGPT chatbot, suspended the account of Jesse Van Rootselaar over the “furtherance of violent activities” in June 2025 but did not reach out to Canadian law enforcement.
Jesse Van Rootselaar, 18, was named by police as the suspected killer of six children and two adults in the remote town of Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, in one of Canada’s worst-ever mass shootings. Van Rootselaar is also believed to have died by suicide following the attack earlier this month. OpenAI said Friday that Van Rootselaar’s ChatGPT account was flagged in June 2025 by systems that scan for misuse, including potential violent activity. The company considered referring the account to law enforcement at the time, but found no credible or imminent threat and determined it didn’t meet the threshold. The account was subsequently banned.
Canada summoned OpenAI's senior leadership to Ottawa to explain their decision not to report suspicious online activity by an individual who later committed a mass shooting in Tumbler Ridge.
In response to a tragic school shooting in Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, that left eight people dead, representatives from OpenAI have been summoned to Ottawa to explain their safety protocols. The shooter, 18-year-old Jesse Van Rootselaar, was previously identified by OpenAI for promoting violent activities and had their ChatGPT account banned in June. However, the company did not alert Canadian authorities at the time, believing the activity did not pose an imminent, credible threat. This delayed response has sparked outrage from Canadian officials, with AI Minister Evan Solomon demanding accountability from OpenAI and British Columbia Premier David Eby expressing anger that the tragedy might have been preventable.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
Downpours to continue for UK with risk of flash flooding
The prolonged dry spell has come to an end with heavy, thundery showers continuing to sweep across the UK, as Ben Rich explains.
August 19, 2026 at 11:56 PMNEWSLETTER: AI firms can't yet contain what they've built, study finds - Reuters
NEWSLETTER: AI firms can't yet contain what they've built, study finds Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 09:25 PMEurope AI data centres seek cheaper, quicker energy and land - Reuters
Europe AI data centres seek cheaper, quicker energy and land Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 08:20 PM'Parents shouldn’t fear their children not coming home from a race'
Parents should not be scared their children might not come back from a cycling race following the death of Finlay Tarling, Lorena Wiebes says after winning the opening stage of the Tour of Britain Women.
August 19, 2026 at 06:13 PMUS, Canada trade negotiators meet after Trump sets new tariff deadline - Reuters
US, Canada trade negotiators meet after Trump sets new tariff deadline Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 05:49 PMCanada and US say they are finalising a trade deal, but details remain murky
Prime Minister Carney hailed "significant progress" in trade talks as the two countries seek to hammer out final details ahead of a new weekend tariff deadline.
August 19, 2026 at 05:47 PM