DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola outbreak
The outbreak, caused by a rare Ebola species, is thought to have caused 139 deaths so far.
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Key People
No people linked to this story
Locations
All Coverage
The outbreak, caused by a rare Ebola species, is thought to have caused 139 deaths so far.
The Democratic Republic of the Congo's national football team has canceled a three-day World Cup preparation training camp and a planned farewell to fans in Kinshasa due to an Ebola outbreak in the east of the country. The team will continue preparations elsewhere, with warm-up matches against Denmark in Belgium and Chile in Spain.
Congo's soccer team has canceled a three-day World Cup preparation training camp and a planned farewell ... Kinshasa because of an ... . Preparations will take place elsewhere after ... .
Due to an outbreak of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in eastern Congo, the Congolese national soccer team has canceled a three ... training camp and a public farewell event in the capital, Kinshasa. The virus has reportedly caused over 130 deaths and about 600 suspected cases, prompting the World Health Organization to declare it a public health emergency of ... .
New Ebola-related travel restrictions could complicate the Democratic Republic of Congo team's arrival in Houston for the 2026 World Cup. The Trump administration announced travel restrictions for Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan amid an Ebola outbreak. The restrictions last for 30 days, through June 17, the same day Congo is set to open its World Cup campaign against Portugal in Houston, where the team has its base camp.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
Ebola outbreak on track to be deadliest ever, WHO chief says
The outbreak, declared on 15 May, has caused more than 2,000 deaths, with thousands more reported cases.
August 13, 2026 at 01:31 AMEbola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in its history
The outbreak was already the fastest growing on record, caused by a rare species of Ebola called Bundibugyo.
August 17, 2026 at 04:41 AMEbola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo becomes deadliest in country's history - Reuters
Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo becomes deadliest in country's history Reuters
August 16, 2026 at 10:40 PMEbola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows - Reuters
Ebola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 04:38 AMWHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months - Reuters
WHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months Reuters
August 18, 2026 at 11:42 AMCentral African Republic artisanal gold mine collapses, killing more than 100 - Reuters
Central African Republic artisanal gold mine collapses, killing more than 100 Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 05:48 PM