US government drops case against Democrats in 'illegal orders' video
The six lawmakers - all military and intelligence veterans - released a video last year reminding servicemembers they can refuse illegal orders.
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Notable Quotes
"an outrageous abuse of power by Donald Trump and his lackies"
— Mark Kelly , Politician
"traitors"
— Donald Trump , Politician
"punishable by death"
— Donald Trump , Politician
"SEDITION AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL"
— Donald Trump , Politician
"an outrageous abuse of power by Donald Trump and his lackies"
— Mark Kelly , Politician
"Our laws are clear, you can refuse illegal orders."
— Mark Kelly , Politician
"You can refuse illegal orders."
— Elissa Slotkin , Politician
"THE TRAITORS THAT TOLD THE MILITARY TO DISOBEY MY ORDERS SHOULD BE IN JAIL RIGHT NOW..."
— Donald Trump , Politician
"asking if it had concluded its probe into the video, which reminded members of the military they could ignore 'illegal' orders."
— Elissa Slotkin , Politician
Key People
Chris Deluzio is a U.S. Representative and former military officer.
Chrissy Houlahan is a U.S. Representative and military veteran.
Former president of the United States known for his aggressive economic policies.
Democratic Senator from Michigan advocating for the bridge's economic benefits.
Jason Crow is a Democratic Congressman from Colorado.
Jeanine Pirro is the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia.
Maddie Goodlander is a U.S. Representative with a military background.
Maggie Goodlander is a congressional candidate in New Hampshire.
Mark Kelly is a former Navy captain, astronaut, and U.S. Senator.
Tags
All Coverage
The six lawmakers - all military and intelligence veterans - released a video last year reminding servicemembers they can refuse illegal orders.
The office of Jeanine Pirro, U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, has stopped pursuing a legal case against Democratic lawmakers who urged military members to 'refuse illegal orders' in a social media video last year.
The top federal prosecutor in Washington, D.C. has decided to table efforts to try to indict six Democratic lawmakers for posting a video urging military members not to follow illegal orders, sources told CBS News on Tuesday.
Federal prosecutors in Washington have dropped their case against six Democratic lawmakers who released a video urging military servicemembers to refuse illegal orders.
U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro’s office is allegedly halting a case against several Democrats who took part in a video and encouraged military members to disobey orders, according to a report.
The decision comes after the Justice Department suffered a setback earlier this month by failing to secure a federal grand jury indictment against the video's participants.
The office of Jeanine Pirro, U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, has stopped pursuing a legal case against Democratic lawmakers who urged military members to 'refuse illegal orders' in a social media video last year.
U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro ended an effort to indict six Democrat lawmakers after a federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., rejected the case.
Donald Trump is dropping his attempt to prosecute six congressional Democrats who made a video urging federal law enforcement and members of the military not to obey illegal orders.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
Who is Natalie Harp, Trump's right-hand woman?
One of Trump's longest serving and most loyal aides, Harp was thrust again into the spotlight when Democrat Jon Ossoff noted her closeness to the president.
August 19, 2026 at 11:11 PMUS provides $206 million for Gaza force despite deadlocked peace plan - Reuters
US provides $206 million for Gaza force despite deadlocked peace plan Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 09:50 PMTrump the builder carves his legacy in stone as pressures mount - Reuters
Trump the builder carves his legacy in stone as pressures mount Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 08:06 PMUS appeals court revives Signature Bank collapse lawsuit despite FDIC objection - Reuters
US appeals court revives Signature Bank collapse lawsuit despite FDIC objection Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 07:15 PMWatch: Trump leads tour of White House helipad construction site
The work is being expedited ahead of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s planned visit to the White House in late September.
August 19, 2026 at 06:30 PMUS, Canada trade negotiators meet after Trump sets new tariff deadline - Reuters
US, Canada trade negotiators meet after Trump sets new tariff deadline Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 05:49 PM