How worrying is the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo?
An outbreak in DR Congo has been declared a health emergency, with almost 250 suspected cases reported.
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Key People
No people linked to this story
Locations
All Coverage
An outbreak in DR Congo has been declared a health emergency, with almost 250 suspected cases reported.
As of May 16, 2026, a new Ebola outbreak in Congo's eastern Ituri province has led to at least 87 confirmed deaths, with 336 suspected cases and 13 confirmed. The African CDC warned of “active community transmission,” particularly in the mining region of Mongwalu where the outbreak likely began. The virus has spread to Rwampara and the provincial capital, Bunia, complicating health efforts due to conflict and insecurity from militant groups. The Bundibugyo strain, a less commonly seen variant, has been identified as the cause. The suspected index case is a nurse who died in Bunia in late April.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda a “public health emergency of international concern” after more than 300 suspected cases and 88 deaths were reported. In a social media post on Sunday, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the outbreak does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency but that neighbouring countries are at high risk of further spread.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in its history
The outbreak was already the fastest growing on record, caused by a rare species of Ebola called Bundibugyo.
August 17, 2026 at 04:41 AMEbola outbreak on track to be deadliest ever, WHO chief says
The outbreak, declared on 15 May, has caused more than 2,000 deaths, with thousands more reported cases.
August 13, 2026 at 01:31 AMEbola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows - Reuters
Ebola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 04:38 AMEbola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo becomes deadliest in country's history - Reuters
Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo becomes deadliest in country's history Reuters
August 16, 2026 at 10:40 PMWHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months - Reuters
WHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months Reuters
August 18, 2026 at 11:42 AMSalmonella outbreak: What we know so far
Hundreds have fallen ill with salmonella infections in an outbreak linked to imported eggs.
August 19, 2026 at 04:43 PM