Canada agreed to delay Detroit-Windsor bridge opening after US request, Carney says - Reuters
Canada agreed to delay Detroit-Windsor bridge opening after US request, Carney says Reuters
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Notable Quotes
"Canada agreed to delay Detroit-Windsor bridge opening after US request."
— Carney , Executive
"We agreed to delay the opening and take the necessary time to resolve outstanding issues."
— Mark Carney , Politician
"We agreed to delay the opening and take the necessary time to resolve outstanding issues."
— Mark Carney , Politician
"Canada need not fall on bent knee to make it happen."
— Drew Dilkens , Politician
Key People
Carney is a government official who provided information about the bridge opening delay.
Former president of the United States known for his aggressive economic policies.
Mayor of Windsor, Canada.
Commerce secretary during Trump's administration.
Mark Carney is the Prime Minister of Canada.
US Homeland Security Secretary under the Trump administration.
Matthew Moroun is the owner of the Ambassador Bridge.
The US ambassador who expressed condolences regarding Officer Pinizzotto's death.
Tags
All Coverage
<a href="https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMivgFBVV95cUxQSlpocnBOZDNSZmYxVjF1WV9jMGw0blJOenJHbEkxR2ZsM0VOekpmQjE3ZkxWM2RzSkRFVnJUMlB4Z2dzQ1djMzlRX0FEVGk2RGFVYmNMUTlJc0lralZ5VThxNElWTTFjRUZhZEhFSHktclh0RXRxU0M3WDZ5N2d3V2tSVkdDeUJRSkw5bENnRlV6SmJScW1HdUJ6RzlkQnBzNXo1NUtUclktVkJSTU5RUVY4WkYxaHZXczZlTXh3?oc=5" target="_blank">Canada agreed to delay Detroit-Windsor bridge opening after US request, Carney says</a> <font color="#6f6f6f">Reuters</font>
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada agreed to delay the opening of a new $4.7 billion bridge connecting Detroit and Windsor at the request of the U.S. government. Carney stated that both countries agreed to take the necessary time to resolve outstanding issues.
The U.S. and Canada have decided to delay the opening of a new $4.7 billion bridge connecting Detroit and Windsor, Ontario, that was set to open in the coming days after U.S. President Donald Trump earlier this year threatened to block the crossing.
The opening of the Gordie Howe International Bridge over the Detroit River is officially delayed, with no date given for allowing traffic to use the new border crossing between the U.S. and Canada. The Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority issued a statement on the delay.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
US, Canada try to bridge gaps over potential autos tariff cuts, sources say - Reuters
US, Canada try to bridge gaps over potential autos tariff cuts, sources say Reuters
August 17, 2026 at 09:35 PMCanadian minister says Canada, US far apart on draft trade deal, source says - Reuters
Canadian minister says Canada, US far apart on draft trade deal, source says Reuters
August 14, 2026 at 11:29 PMUS, Canada trade negotiators meet after Trump sets new tariff deadline - Reuters
US, Canada trade negotiators meet after Trump sets new tariff deadline Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 05:49 PMUS also wants trade deal before August 19 tariff deadline, Canadian source says - Reuters
US also wants trade deal before August 19 tariff deadline, Canadian source says Reuters
August 13, 2026 at 11:16 PMCanadian dollar weakens ahead of US deadline for new tariffs - Reuters
Canadian dollar weakens ahead of US deadline for new tariffs Reuters
August 18, 2026 at 06:03 PMEXCLUSIVE: Detroit automakers fear North American trade deal revamp could cost them billions - Reuters
EXCLUSIVE: Detroit automakers fear North American trade deal revamp could cost them billions Reuters
August 13, 2026 at 05:07 PM