Netanyahu says war against Iran may take 'some time', but not years - Reuters
Netanyahu says war against Iran may take 'some time', but not years Reuters
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Notable Quotes
"war against Iran may take 'some time', but not years"
— Benjamin Netanyahu , Politician
"This is not Iraq. This is not endless."
— Pete Hegseth , Executive
"This is not a single overnight operation."
— Dan Caine , Executive
"We're hitting them surgically, overwhelmingly, and unapologetically."
— Pete Hegseth , Executive
"This is not a single overnight operation. The military objectives... will take some time to achieve."
— Dan Caine , Executive
"That's the way it is."
— Donald Trump , Politician
"We knew that if we didn’t pre-emptively go after them before they launched those attacks, we would suffer higher casualties."
— Marco Rubio , Politician
"It’s not an endless war."
— Benjamin Netanyahu , Politician
"The conflict had been projected to last four to five weeks but that it could go on longer."
— Donald Trump , Politician
"You're not going to have an endless war."
— Benjamin Netanyahu , Politician
"This is not an endless war. This is, in fact, something that will usher in an era of peace."
— Benjamin Netanyahu , Politician
"If no action was taken now, no action could be taken in the future."
— Benjamin Netanyahu , Politician
"He does what he thinks is right for America."
— Donald Trump , Politician
"You're not going to have an endless war."
— Benjamin Netanyahu , Politician
"This terror regime in Iran is at the weakest point that it's been since it hijacked Iran from the brave Iranian people 47 years ago."
— Benjamin Netanyahu , Politician
"This is a gateway for peace, for broader peace."
— Benjamin Netanyahu , Politician
Key People
Benjamin Netanyahu is the prime minister of Israel.
Dan Caine is the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Former president of the United States known for his aggressive economic policies.
U.S. Secretary of State.
Pete Hegseth is the United States Secretary of Defense.
Locations
Tags
All Coverage
<a href="https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMitAFBVV95cUxPVUdVU2pYR1hJeG9pM29yem1ocjBBZ3VHRnU4cGI3RHJnQ0gwdG1QMzVnajBubTBXUFBZaDJ1Y2FHUVcyNmtXREJHV2kxUExjLWxpaEZydkRZVTRoeEpXdldJSkRBQVRmeFZsOWo1MzJfOENtcmI0c0dYZG1PR2oyUmMwWGxtXzd2Qm1DNWtsMmtVczc5bmxTY2xLMmQ0VzdDRUkwdG5Id0txSkNnRm5KOGtZWF8?oc=5" target="_blank">Netanyahu says war against Iran may take 'some time', but not years</a> <font color="#6f6f6f">Reuters</font>
At a Pentagon press conference, U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Dan Caine emphasized that the military campaign against Iran, named 'Epic Fury,' will be prolonged and complex. Gen. Caine stated achieving the military objectives will take time and involve difficult work, while Hegseth declined to offer a specific timeline, contrasting with President Trump's earlier estimate of a four-week duration. Although regime change is not the stated goal, officials acknowledged significant changes in Iran’s regime, particularly following the Israeli assassination of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and other senior figures. The operation commenced after Trump’s authorization on Friday at 3:38 p.m. ET, aimed at degrading Iran’s military capabilities, including its command centers, naval forces, missile sites, and intelligence infrastructure. Additionally, an investigation is ongoing into the downing of three U.S. F-15s in Kuwait, which were reportedly not shot down by enemy fire.
US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth stated that military operations against Iran would not lead to an 'endless war,' emphasizing that the operation would not be completed overnight. He highlighted the aim to destroy Tehran's missiles, navy, and other security infrastructure, contrasting the current operation with the prolonged conflicts in Iraq. Hegseth's remarks were made during a press conference at the Pentagon, underscoring the focused and decisive nature of the military campaign against Iran.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu assured that the US and Israel's strikes on Iran will not lead to an 'endless war', emphasizing the need for decisive action.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu assured that the US and Israel's strikes on Iran will not lead to an 'endless war', emphasizing the need for decisive action.
US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth stated that military operations against Iran are focused on dismantling its military infrastructure and will not lead to an endless war. Ongoing strikes continue amid rising casualties and tensions. Hegseth emphasized the surgical and overwhelming nature of the strikes, aiming to destroy Tehran's missiles, navy, and other security infrastructure. The operation is ongoing, with no end in sight, as the US-Israeli air war against Iran expanded on Monday.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated that the US and Israel's war against Iran may take 'some time' but will not be an 'endless war'.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
US could not verify Israeli warnings of Iran plots against Trump, sources say - Reuters
US could not verify Israeli warnings of Iran plots against Trump, sources say Reuters
August 13, 2026 at 10:52 PMKushner, Netanyahu agree on path forward for Gaza, Board of Peace official says - Reuters
Kushner, Netanyahu agree on path forward for Gaza, Board of Peace official says Reuters
August 17, 2026 at 03:30 PMKushner to hold talks with Netanyahu after rare meeting with Hamas - Reuters
Kushner to hold talks with Netanyahu after rare meeting with Hamas Reuters
August 17, 2026 at 06:17 AMBattered by war, Iran’s rulers wary of more economic pain and unrest if US tightens pressure - Reuters
Battered by war, Iran’s rulers wary of more economic pain and unrest if US tightens pressure Reuters
August 17, 2026 at 08:52 PMUS wants Netanyahu to condemn settler siege in Palestinian village, officials say - Reuters
US wants Netanyahu to condemn settler siege in Palestinian village, officials say Reuters
August 14, 2026 at 11:45 AMUS can keep naval blockade on Iranian ports "indefinitely," Pentagon chief says - Reuters
US can keep naval blockade on Iranian ports "indefinitely," Pentagon chief says Reuters
August 13, 2026 at 04:43 PM