Italy's famed Uffizi admits cyber-attack but denies security breach
Hackers were reported to have infiltrated IT systems - but the gallery says its works are safe.
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Notable Quotes
"No passwords were stolen - none whatsoever - because the security systems are entirely internal and closed-circuit."
— Simone Verde , Executive
"Ovviamente, un’altra accelerazione è arrivata dopo l’attacco hacker."
— Simone Verde , Executive
"Chiedendo al ministro della Cultura Alessandro Giuli di riferire in Parlamento."
— Irene Manzi , Politician
"Gli hacker attaccano gli Uffizi e minacciano il nostro patrimonio culturale. Mi chiedo: che fa e cosa ha fatto il ministro Giuli?"
— Matteo Renzi , Politician
"no comment"
— Simone Verde , Executive
Key People
Italy's culture minister who commented on the importance of the Caravaggio painting acquisition.
A deputy from Florence and member of the Democratic Party.
The group leader in the Culture Commission for the Democratic Party.
Matteo Renzi is a former Prime Minister of Italy and leader of the Democratic Party.
A deputy from Florence and member of the Democratic Party.
Director of the Uffizi Galleries.
Tags
All Coverage
Hackers were reported to have infiltrated IT systems - but the gallery says its works are safe.
A cyberattack on the Uffizi Galleries led to the theft of sensitive data, prompting the relocation of artworks to secure vaults and the sealing of doors with lime.
An interview with the director of the Uffizi Galleries clarifies the situation regarding the alleged hacker attack and its implications.
A report by Corriere della Sera claims stolen data from the Uffizi Galleries, but the museum's management denies the allegations.
An in-depth look at the alleged hacker attack on the Uffizi Galleries, including the ransom demand and the museum's denial of the incident.
The Uffizi Galleries report a cyberattack resulting in the theft of security plans and alarm codes, leading to the precautionary closure of a wing of Palazzo Pitti.
The Uffizi Galleries in Florence were targeted by a cyberattack earlier this year, leading to internal system disruptions and alleged blackmail of the museum's director, according to local media reports.
An investigation is underway into a cyberattack at Italy's Uffizi Gallery, following extortion threats made to its director, as reported by local media.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
Four 'extraordinary' Renaissance paintings stolen from Italian museum
The works were taken overnight without alarms being triggered, raising suspicion of a professional hit.
August 16, 2026 at 01:34 PMItaly recovers Renoir, Cezanne and Matisse works stolen from museum - reuters.com
Italy recovers Renoir, Cezanne and Matisse works stolen from museum reuters.com
August 14, 2026 at 11:47 AMMoment €9m worth of art stolen from Italy museum
Police released the CCTV footage after the art, which was stolen in March, was recovered.
August 14, 2026 at 02:56 PMFrench taxpayers' data stolen in cyber attack, French Finance Ministry says - Reuters
French taxpayers' data stolen in cyber attack, French Finance Ministry says Reuters
August 14, 2026 at 07:33 AMTaiwan says it was targeted last month in AI-driven hacking campaign - reuters.com
Taiwan says it was targeted last month in AI-driven hacking campaign reuters.com
August 13, 2026 at 02:49 AMFour Antonello da Messina works stolen in Renaissance painter's hometown - Reuters
Four Antonello da Messina works stolen in Renaissance painter's hometown Reuters
August 16, 2026 at 10:57 AM