
Hungary's government to release 250,000 tons of crude oil from strategic reserves - Reuters
Hungary's government to release 250,000 tons of crude oil from strategic reserves Reuters
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Notable Quotes
""In 2025, the country imported about 4.9 million tons of oil via the Druzhba pipeline, while it imported 400,000 tons via the Adriatic pipeline, which clearly demonstrates the ratio between the two.""
— Peter Szijjarto , Politician
"Kyiv’s move is unacceptable and intolerable."
— Gergely Gulyás , Politician
"This decision to stop deliveries must have been taken at the highest political level."
— Gergely Gulyás , Politician
"Hungary firmly rejects Ukraine’s accession to the European Union."
— Gergely Gulyás , Politician
Key People
The minister heading the Prime Minister’s Office in Hungary.
Peter Szijjarto is the Hungarian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Economic Relations.
Viktor Orbán is the Prime Minister of Hungary, noted for his controversial political policies and influence in Central Europe.
Tags
All Coverage
<a href="https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMivAFBVV95cUxNalFmaXhWNjBtMEZzOFh4VWlQVzNTTjRNYTU3MExYNThsODQtdzhQUi0wUkcxVV9uN3Y1V19uTzdxZG5yckR3eXlNRFlDMnRQcGJjX0dDMnQtYV80OUEyNFI5eDkzaTlCNl9QMVNpQ2NqSXNCVFQxWkg1V1FRVE9LRUpQUjBUNTVFQ2tzc2FWWEpDNjdMYVQ0Rm5XWWFlb2doeWVuY1Z4aHIyT3M0bVdqcEZscERWWXh6RWs1SQ?oc=5" target="_blank">Hungary's government to release 250,000 tons of crude oil from strategic reserves</a> <font color="#6f6f6f">Reuters</font>
Hungary has decided to release 250,000 tons of oil from its strategic reserves to support the domestic market after the suspension of deliveries via the Druzhba pipeline.
Hungary is releasing oil from its strategic petroleum reserves to ensure supply after Russian crude flows via the Druzhba pipeline stopped at the end of last month.
MOL Group has approached the Hungarian Ministry of Energy to request the release of strategic oil reserves after oil deliveries via the Druzhba pipeline ceased on January 27, 2026. This measure aims to ensure regional supply security.
Hungarian authorities intend to increase oil supplies via the Adriatic pipeline through Croatia due to Ukraine's blocking of Russian oil transit through the Druzhba pipeline.
The MOL Group has approached the Hungarian Ministry of Energy to release strategic oil reserves after no oil has been delivered through the Druzhba pipeline since 27 January 2026. This measure aims to ensure regional supply security.
Hungary has decided to stop supplying diesel fuel to Ukraine until the Ukrainians resume oil deliveries via the Druzhba pipeline, Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó said at a press conference following Wednesday's cabinet meeting.
Minister Gergely Gulyás announced that the Hungarian government has released Hungary’s strategic crude oil reserves following Ukraine’s decision to halt oil deliveries via the Druzhba pipeline. Further countermeasures are under consideration.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
Hungary to sink two barges near nuclear plant to raise Danube levels to ensure cooling - Reuters
Hungary to sink two barges near nuclear plant to raise Danube levels to ensure cooling Reuters
August 15, 2026 at 07:20 AMUS to announce steps to help refiners produce more fuel, energy chief Wright says - Reuters
US to announce steps to help refiners produce more fuel, energy chief Wright says Reuters
August 17, 2026 at 09:36 PMUS eyes indefinite Iran naval blockade as oil supply shortfall deepens - Reuters
US eyes indefinite Iran naval blockade as oil supply shortfall deepens Reuters
August 13, 2026 at 10:01 PMChina's fuel exports edge back towards levels before Iran war as Beijing eases curbs - Reuters
China's fuel exports edge back towards levels before Iran war as Beijing eases curbs Reuters
August 18, 2026 at 04:31 AMOil extends climb on prolonged Hormuz export uncertainty - Reuters
Oil extends climb on prolonged Hormuz export uncertainty Reuters
August 19, 2026 at 12:39 AMAbout half of Venezuela oil output now goes to US, Under Secretary Haustveit says - Reuters
About half of Venezuela oil output now goes to US, Under Secretary Haustveit says Reuters
August 18, 2026 at 09:29 PM